You are browsing the forum as a guest. Log in or register to access additional features.
DailyDrivenTJ.com Forum Index

1986856 visitors since May 16, 2006

DailyDrivenTJ.com
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Install: Dash Mod - LEDs and Brushed Aluminum Faceplate « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
DailyDrivenTJ.com
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Founder
Site Founder

Welcome!

That switch is actually for AC compressor by pass. I am not sure about XJs but TJs with recirculation mode will engage AC compressor in heat or cold. I can flip that switch then I can have recirculation with heat while AC compressor NOT turning.

The hazard switch IIRC has rather not-so simple circuit, it regulates a lot other things like blinkers and such.

Glad that XJ crews can use info here. Please spread the word!

mk
rienzio
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are likely correct on the hazard switch. After I posted here, I got in the rig and remembered that the hazard knob/switch is usually integrated with the clockswitch (turn signal mechanism). I'll let you know what I find. May try to put a momentary switch parallel to hazard for signaling.

Yes, lots of crossover between TJs and 97+ XJ's. Interior things like switches, gauge cluster, vent diffusers, etc were from same parts bin.

That's awesome on AC cutout. Yes all 4.0 XJs that I know of do the same thing. Annoying when you're idling and trying to talk to someone over the compressor cutting in and out every 3 seconds! Also, the electric radiator fan comes on with the compressor. (Don't recall the fan setup on TJ's...guessing single as the radiator wouldn't be as wide?)
DailyDrivenTJ.com
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Founder
Site Founder

I figured XJ and TJ would have something in common. It would be not so cost effective if there weren't shared parts in terms of manufacturing. I knew XJs had the same 4.0L and similar "almost" identical PCM with what is it AX4 auto trannys? TJs crews swap into AX4s when they get sick of manual tranny.

Being a "self-retired" electrical/computer engineer, I can't help but to ask about "momentary switch parallel to hazard for signaling"? What are you trying to do with hazard switch? You must have some grand scheme with it to signal something important mometarily?

It seems like you are interested in electrical stuff. Here is my rather old but recent project incorperating CB into stock switch panel and my stereo system.

I haven't paid attention to too much on XJs, TJs radiators are almost squarish with no electrical fan. It has the temperature controlled viscous fan clutch on water pump pulley.

mk
rienzio
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! You've got a lot going on in those two switch pods!

I have done some similar integration of my GPS and satellite radio. I did writeups at naxja.org :
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=981514
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=987642
http://www.naxja.org/forum/sho.....?t=1011433

since then, I have a hardwired radar detector (need to put a master switch on that, too so I can easily silence when trying to have a conversation in town...) Upgraded the mount on the GPS to a RAM, and put a 4-position axillary fuse block behind the glove box.

On the hazard lights, I sometimes use them to say thanks to a semi that lets me in, etc. New cars and imports have the big push-on, push-off switch, usually in the center of the dash. You can usually push in in halfway before the click like a momentary. I'd like something similar, a momentary so I hold it down for one or two "winks."

Someday, I may undertake a touch-screen computer (will go with smaller monitor) in the center stack as this fellow has done:
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulleti.....puter.html
DailyDrivenTJ.com
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Founder
Site Founder

I see what you are trying to do with it now. I think it would be probably easier to hard wire it to brake light switch on the brake pedal for what you are trying to do. I feel XJs have similar brake switch design as TJs.

The another switch pod has been cut and added in place of the ash tray.

CB unit had been modded and wired into the my stereo HU to feed CB audio into the AUX input. Red round switch on the right pod is used to select between the stereo output, the CB speaker output and head phone.

LED lights on the left are to indicate if the pods are switched on, and once the winch is armed, it blinks.

I gotta find me 2 more spots for ARB compressor and the locker. It will probably end up on the center console where the air bag disable is located. Somewhere around there.

I have entertained the idea of running carputer years ago. Now the head units are just so well made and integrated with relatively large screen, like Kenwood PNAV-514, IMHO it is rarely worth the time creating them to me.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 Page 4 of 4

Jump to:  

Jeep, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Daimler-Chrysler Corporation.
DailyDrivenTJ.com is not associated with the Daimler-Chrysler Corp. in any way.
Copyrighted (c) 2006 DailyDrivenTJ.com - All right reserved.
Template Based on DAJ Glass (1.0.8) by Dustin Baccetti
DailyDrivenTJ.com Logo Designed by Michael Kang