You are browsing the forum as a guest. Log in or register to access additional features.
DailyDrivenTJ.com Forum Index

1877487 visitors since May 16, 2006

DailyDrivenTJ.com
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 [Repair] Exhaust Manifold Replacement Guide « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
DailyDrivenTJ.com
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the info. Reply with quote

Site Founder
Site Founder

Socal97Tj40 wrote:
...I'm editing because I have a question. I read of someone adding an extra hanger to the down pipe, to relieve some of the stress. Does anyone think this will help?

Not a bad idea. There are so many bends and length of exhaust piping between the cat hanger and where the down pipe mates the header. Meaning the header will bare some weight of the down pipe also; by relieving the weight off the header, I can see how it can help.

MK
mike95tj97cherokee
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: welding = wow what agreat write up Reply with quote

man oh man what a great write up

i was going into this project from a haynes manual, your write up is a 100 times better

i have a TJ but had to loan it to my brother to deliver pizzas and medical supplys and hes an arhitect

so am I am having to drive a 1997 grand cherokee, whick I have come to like

Can you weld a manifold with a stick welder? very small crack
would this write up be any different on my cherokee with a 4.0

thanks for all the great info, I wonder how many people you have help< i heard that most don't sign up

UPDATE
I repaired my exhaust manifold it was a breeze because of this write up, I choose to weld it and I put alot of beads over the cracked spots

the longest part when I was ready to install and at the last minute I use jb weld on the manifold in case I messed any leaks but after a little research I realized I had to get that stuff off right away, it had beeen about 15 minutes so i wiped it off along with a butane torn

funny thing is that i put it all together in nice clotrhs and wore gloves did not want wife to yell again about me working on my jeep, the welds look crappy but there is alot of them i hope the smog nazis don't say anything, I did paint it black so it does not look that bad

i am thinking about putting an extra support near the collector,i suppect that that causes alot of breaks
DailyDrivenTJ.com
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Founder
Site Founder

You know it is not just the weight of the down pipe on the manifold causing the crack but it mostly because of the expansion of the manifold that is not accounted for.

When a long piece of welded metal pipes, goes through heat cycles of expansion and contraction, it will crack eventually due to the cyclic fatigue that is not relieved.

Thus this particular manifold that I am using with expansion joint has lasted so far quite long and since the replacement, it still has not cracked. Knock on wood..

mk
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 Page 4 of 4

Jump to:  

Jeep, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Daimler-Chrysler Corporation.
DailyDrivenTJ.com is not associated with the Daimler-Chrysler Corp. in any way.
Copyrighted (c) 2006 DailyDrivenTJ.com - All right reserved.
Template Based on DAJ Glass (1.0.8) by Dustin Baccetti
DailyDrivenTJ.com Logo Designed by Michael Kang