You are browsing the forum as a guest. Log in or register to access additional features.
DailyDrivenTJ.com Forum Index

1662714 visitors since May 16, 2006

DailyDrivenTJ.com
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
 [Application] SeaFoam « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
DailyDrivenTJ.com
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: [Application] SeaFoam Reply with quote

Site Founder
Site Founder

SeaFoam Application
Clean your intake and fuel system!

Introduction

When engines accumulate running hours, it will wear and lose their original performance. However, that is not the only thing that kills the performance. Since fuel injectors are installed on the intake, it will inject fuel from the intake side into the intake valve. Even though it is very short distance that fuel travels, but it can bet pretty gunked up. This means this gunk deposits also sit on the top of the intake valve which can cause improper seal under compression cycle. This won't allow full potential compression, thus losing power. If you have an engine that has accumulated a lot of miles, and know that you haven't cleaned the intake, you can benefit from SeaFoaming the engine!

Some calls it a snake oil which has been around for years. Consensus is that it works for some and some does not. Whatever the case it maybe, if you Google Seafoam, you will see a lot of floating articles about it. At least, try Seafoaming yourself before calling a snake oil and start spreading Internet rumors about it. ;)

Just to lay some foundation for this topic, here is the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) on SeaFoam.
http://www.montanajacks.com/msds/seafoam-msds.pdf

It says that the product consists of:

Pale Oil
    A distillate lubricating oil, straw or pale yellow in color, either a finished oil or to be further refined.

Naphtha
    A volatile, colorless product of petroleum distillation. Used primarily as paint solvent, cleaning fluid, and blendstock in gasoline production, to produce motor gasoline by blending with straight-run gasoline.

Isopropyl Alcohol
    Rubbing Alcohol

I heard people talking about using water to clean the combustion chamber. While this method may work somehow, but you can tell me how well oil residue and carbon deposits are cleaned with water without any detergent.

A lot of automotive cleaners are based on petroleum which is a non-polar solvent that can dissolves non-ionic compound such as carbon deposits and oil. Why is this? Like dissolves the like. Water dissolves compounds that are ionic in nature. In a nutshell, if any of the components in the car is polar, then it would dissolve in water. Carbon deposit is NOT ionic and it originates from combustion of gasoline which is non-polar, thus not miscible with water.

Now you be the judge, would Seafoam that can readily mix with oil and non-polar compounds like carbon deposit, clean anything at all? Would it really be a snake oil when it has definite and more scientific basis than water cleaning carbon deposit and oil residue? You know it is really sad to see people making comments how water would clean carbon deposits while claiming non-polar solvents like Seafoam would do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in cleaning non-polar residues such as carbon deposit by calling it a snake oil. In fact, the snake oil would have better chance of cleaning any oil, carbon deposits than water because it would be a non-polar solvent.

Tools and Parts Needed
SeaFoam (From AdvancedAuto, about $6)

Job Hours
10 Minutes

Warning!
A LOT OF WHITE SMOKE!!!!!
Users Reported: MAY FOUL YOUR SPARK PLUGS!!!! This causes engine to run rough.

I have tried this on two different vehicles. My TJ emitted so much white smoke, I really felt guilty for causing so much smoke. On the other hand, on 8 Cyl WJ which I tried on, didn't emit any smoke whatsoever.

Procedure
1. First, get your Seafoam bottle ready. Open your hood and locate the brake booster and vacuum line location as shown in the picture.

2. Start the engine. ** ALWAYS WATCH OUT FOR ROTATING FAN when engine is running and working under the hood!! **

3. Now disconnect the vacuum line. DON'T PANIC when the engine starts to rev high. This is expected. Once removed, feed the SeaFoam into the tube. Let the vacuum do the work. You won't have to pour the SeaFoam into the vacuum line. Insert the tube into the mouth of the SeaFoam can and it will suck it out of the can. If you feed too fast, engine will choke and cut off. Towards the end of the can, you will have to tile the can to let the fluid flow out into the vacuum line. Once the can is empty, plug the vacuum line with your finger. *This might be able stop the engine. If not, manually stop the engine by turning the engine off.

If your engine cannot be stopped by the method I just have decribed, you will have to manually kill the engine by turning the key off. Sometimes it could take a few seconds to cut off completely.

*The instruction in the back of the SeaFoam can will tell you to add some portion into the intake and another into fuel tank. You do what you like doing. I put the 1/2 or the whole can into the intake and run separate fuel injection cleaner into the fuel tank.

4. Once the engine is stopped. Let the Seafoam do the work. I gather this waiting period is to let the SeaFoam dissolve the deposits. I typically wait about 10 - 15 minutes.

5. Reinstall the vacuum hose back on the booster.

6. Crank the engine. It could take a few seconds of cranking before it fires up on its own. BE PREPARE TO DRIVE unless you want to smoke up the whole neighborhood and have 911 folks come over. And you see the reason why in the picture. Try to do some spirited driving or rather high revving. This will help clean better since everything has to move in and out faster.

It took me about 10 minutes of driving to get rid of the white smoke coming out of the tail pipe. The picture on the right looks like a bad fuzzy picture but it seems that way because there is so much smoke out side. You can see the interior of the Jeep fine.

I WARNED YOU ABOUT A LOT OF SMOKE!!

<< Side Notes>>

If you suspect that your exhaust manifold has crack somewhere SeaFoam'ing can let you know if you really got them or not.

When I used the whole bottle of SeaFoam on my engine, I saw some white smoke coming from the engine and also saw this when it was just sitting there for the waiting period.

Disclaimer

I tried my best to document as much as possible along with pictures. I hope you find them useful. However, do use the information provided here "as-is". DailyDrivenTJ.com or the author does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, or process disclosed. Use the information at your own risk.
Newbeme
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done this to several older vehicles we have had and it seemed to improve the idle on a couple of them. After I did it I changed the oil and spark plugs, kind of a tune up package.
jennkent5454
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried this application, i didnt realize how much suction was going to be there, the whole can was gone in seconds, i let it sit awhile, then when i ran it (i did it at night so no one would see) all the smoke stopped and now it seems to be running rough. i will keep an eye on for the next few days and see if it improves.
DailyDrivenTJ.com
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Founder
Site Founder

Did you give your vehicle some spirited driving afterwards?
jennkent5454
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did where i could, but didnt want another ticket, but im sure it will all work itself out.
DailyDrivenTJ.com
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Founder
Site Founder

What I usually do is, just rev up the engine with low gears that way I can keep the speed low and keep the RPM high.
Newbeme
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running rough as in a miss fire? If so check the plugs to see if the carbon that came off the cylinder heads might have fouled one. That is what happened to me the first time I did this. I was paranoid that I did something major to the engine, but it was just a fouled plug. Try keep us filled in on the problem and what the fix is.
jennkent5454
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few days after i did the treatment the check engine light came on, it never really ran right after the treatment. so i changed the plugs, and air filter and it ran normal as usual. i put the code reader on it and it gave me #6 misfire, then i cleared the code. duh i should have thought of that first, i just assumed i did major damage. thanks guys!!!!!
DailyDrivenTJ.com
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Founder
Site Founder

I have updated the write up to warn other users about this. Thanks both of you for the information and the follow up!
tnyj
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With SeaFoam, it says to use on high mileage engines. What constitutes as high mileage?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Jeep, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Daimler-Chrysler Corporation.
DailyDrivenTJ.com is not associated with the Daimler-Chrysler Corp. in any way.
Copyrighted (c) 2006 DailyDrivenTJ.com - All right reserved.
Template Based on DAJ Glass (1.0.8) by Dustin Baccetti
DailyDrivenTJ.com Logo Designed by Michael Kang