You are browsing the forum as a guest. Log in or register to access additional features.
DailyDrivenTJ.com Forum Index

1877487 visitors since May 16, 2006

DailyDrivenTJ.com
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
 High idle 1550-2000 « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
jennkent5454
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: high idle 1550-2000 Reply with quote

i just replaced my exhaust manifold, all in all it went ok. but now i have it all back together and it idles really high. between 1500-2000, i have checked and rechecked all electrical connections, and vacuum lines that i removed, i dont get it.
Marlin4622
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Famous
Famous

would the old O2 sensor that was bad be screwing with your idle mixture??

Just a thought. Maybe replace the 02 sensor.
DailyDrivenTJ.com
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Founder
Site Founder

Good try Marlin4622. :)

I just happened know too well why this is happening.

Jenn, you have a what they call a vacuum leak. Engine is trying to compensate for the lost vacuum through idling high; sucking more air in to see if the vacuum is restored. Since the sufficient vacuum is not reached, the engine just keeps idling high.

I am confident in saying that you did not seat the intake manifold square along with the exhaust manifold on the cylinder head; causing the air leak into the intake.

This usually happens when you don't clean up the gasket mating surface thoroughly, both on the head and the intake manifold.

OR another thing is, you might have missed the guide pin, sometimes this has to be lined up perfect on the manifold for it to seat correctly.

Either way, it is the vacuum leak causing the high RPM idle.

You will have do the job all over again making sure both manifolds seat flush against the head.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Michael
jennkent5454
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the new gasket will still work?
I guess it will have too work!
Since its 8:00pm on a holiday weekend.
DailyDrivenTJ.com
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Founder
Site Founder

If the gasket you just installed did not get damaged, say cracked, cut, or torn, it can be reused. Just remember that you need air tight seal around that intake manifold!

Speaking of the leak, make sure all the hoses that are connected to the manifold are not leaking vacuum, or sucking in air from the engine bay!

-mk
jennkent5454
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem has been solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it had to do with the two dowels, but the reason for the problem was when i had the manifold replaced by the pros, at some point the right bracket on the intake that sets on the dowel was snapped off, allowing the manifold to fall down enough that it wouldnt seal. the front bracket was still there, so with the front one on the dowel i had to have someone hold the rear up to as close to front as possible while i was underneath tightening it all up, so i think its all good now, the jeep almost won.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Jeep, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Daimler-Chrysler Corporation.
DailyDrivenTJ.com is not associated with the Daimler-Chrysler Corp. in any way.
Copyrighted (c) 2006 DailyDrivenTJ.com - All right reserved.
Template Based on DAJ Glass (1.0.8) by Dustin Baccetti
DailyDrivenTJ.com Logo Designed by Michael Kang