You are browsing the forum as a guest. Log in or register to access additional features.
DailyDrivenTJ.com Forum Index

2102307 visitors since May 16, 2006

DailyDrivenTJ.com
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
 Oh Jesus... I've inherited a mess! « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
TexanTJ
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Oh Jesus... I've inherited a mess! Reply with quote

Good morning, all!

I've recently joined the ranks of the proud TJ owners. I love the look and ruggedness that jeeps offer, and I figured that buying such a highly-customizable vehicle would be a good way to "cut my teeth" when it comes to automotive repair/modification.

Well hell, guys. I got myself into a real mess. I found a real beauty for sale here on the base I'm stationed on, and it was a good deal to boot. Being the first car I'd ever bought myself (my parents bought my first car when I was 16) I gave her a good look and drove her around and figured I'd covered all my bases. I forked out 3 grand for a 1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, and boy was I excited!

Then the troubles began.

Well the cars a real beauty. She runs like a dream, and it was a blast taking her doors off and driving around. Then, night time fell. So, I pulled the knob to turn on the lowbeams and....

Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

Now, the PO had mentioned that one of her buddies had attempted to do some wiring, but did a pretty crappy job. UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE CENTURY! There are wires everywhere, and it looks like he didn't finish before he left (he's since been deployed).

I can turn the brights on just fine. No matter what I do, I cannot make the lowbeams turn on. On the right side headlight, the wire has been pulled out of the connector (it has three holes... I am NOT a car person, sorry I can't explain it better) and everything is pretty damn grungy, to say the least.

I've looked up a few guides on how to rewire everything, but I'm on a budget (and low on technical knowledge) and just want to get the damned lowbeams to work! I don't even know where to start. I don't know much about wiring (I've read up some on the symbols used in wiring diagrams, but I still don't really understand the ideas behind them). I'm pretty much stuck with a day-only Jeep, and wife who is all too happy to point out how terrible of an idea it was to buy my baby.

Holy crap guys/gals... I need some help here! Please have mercy on my soul...
Newbeme
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site and thanks for serving. I was Navy at the weapons station in Charleston, SC, great country down that way. Have you looked at the back of the head lights and checked the wires coming off them to see if they have been cut? If any have, can you find the other end and splice them back together? Your best bet would be to befriend one of the mechanics on base and offer up a little beer money to help. Cheaper than taking it to a regular mechanic.
Here's a link to help you trouble shoot. If you look at the link it is actually an online service manual that will help you a ton.
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/j...../index.htm
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Jeep, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Daimler-Chrysler Corporation.
DailyDrivenTJ.com is not associated with the Daimler-Chrysler Corp. in any way.
Copyrighted (c) 2006 DailyDrivenTJ.com - All right reserved.
Template Based on DAJ Glass (1.0.8) by Dustin Baccetti
DailyDrivenTJ.com Logo Designed by Michael Kang